Tel: +233 30420 23021 / +233 30420 23031 / +233 30420 23041
Public Health is the science and art of preventing disease, promoting health and prolonging life through organized community effort. The Institutional Public
Health Unit of the Eastern Regional Hospital, Koforidua serves as the appropriate unit to co-
serves as the link with Municipal, District and Regional Health Directorates for responses to be made.
1. To strengthen surveillance of all health events in the hospital
2. To assist in the control and prevention of health events of public health importance in the hospital.
3. To facilitate the establishment of screening services for non-
4. To strengthen the function linkage between the hospital, Municipal, Districts and the Region.
5. To protect health and safety of staff, clients and communities.
ORGANOGRAM OF THE UNIT
The Public Health Unit is located within the hospital as one of the units under the direct supervision of the Medical Director. The Medical Director is the
primary recipient of all reports from the Public Health Unit. The head of the unit have other staff of different expertise to support the execution of the mandate
of the unit. The public health unit always works closely with all units in the hospital.
OPERATIOAL ACTIVITY AREAS OF THE UNIT
1. Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response
2. EPI ( Expanded Programme on Immunization )
4. Child Health Services
ACTIVITIES AND CORE FUNCTIONS OF THE INSTITUTIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH UNIT.
1. Promote integration and co-
2. It serves as link between the Hospital, Municipal/Districts and the Regional health directorates for responses to be made to foster continuity of care in the
community at large.
3. Coordinate public health programmes in the hospital
4. Provide daily BCG immunization and weekly child welfare services.
5. Provide health information to in-
6. Review daily OPD consulting rooms and ward registers on diseases of public importance and take action
7. Undertake surveillance activities.
8. Lead in outbreak investigations in the health facility.
9. Notification of cases to districts for follow-
OTHER SPECIAL ACTIVITIES BY THE IPHU:
1. Home Verification and contacts tracing of all Tuberculosis (TB) cases
2. Daily management and referral of TB cases at the DOT center
4. Conducting of monthly TB clinics for MDR cases from other districts
5. Management and rehabilitation of malnourished children ( CMAM )
6. Nutritional counseling for clients with diet related conditions
The Unit works from Monday – Friday between the hours of 7:00am to 5:30pm, but when there is an outbreak of any
disease, the unit provide 24hours services.
Copyright © All rights reserved. Midanny Enterprise
+233 30420 23021 / +233 30420 23031 / +233 30420 23041
Eastern Regional Hospital
P.O. Box 201
|GHS Core Values|
|OPD Consultation Schedule|
|Specialist Consultation Days|
|Social, Religious and Cultural|
|GHS Core Values|
|Standard Treatment Guidelines|
|GHS Act (Act 525)|
|Occupational Health & Safety Policy Guidelines|
|Hospital Public Health Unit Guidelines|
|Health Sector ICT Policy and Strategy|
|Patient Rights and Responsibilities|